Friday, February 26, 2016

Friday February 26th



Friday February 26th




What are we working on?

This month, students were enrolled in the HIGHLY prestigious (yet as of now unaccredited) Byram College of Sports Medicine, or BCSM!

We spent part of our class periods learning about different parts of the skeletal and muscular systems - like tendons, ligaments, and of course muscle and bone - and other parts putting this knowledge into action and researching different injuries pertaining to these systems to develop a presentation to the rest of their fellow "medical students," (see presentations below).   Students worked in teams of four, with each student assigning themselves a particular job.  Group managers made sure everything ran smoothly, tech experts were in charge of the websites being used to present, research experts were in charge of gathering and sharing research, and presentation coordinators were tasked with making sure everyone in the group knew what to present.

We learned that working in teams can at times be a stressful experience, but very worthwhile as well!

In wrapping up our semester on the skeletal and muscular systems, our future doctors wanted to see some of the things we learned about, so we dissected chicken wings to locate tendons, muscles, joints, cartilage, and all kinds of good stuff!

What's coming up?

After our body systems unit finally comes to a close, we will be investigating matter and how it makes up everything around us!  Some topics covered will include the states of matter, mixtures & solutions, laws of matter, makeup of an atom.

Reminders 

Current Events 
- Current Events (4) are due at the end of the marking period, BUT...  Students are encouraged to follow the recommended due dates listed below so they do not put themselves in stressful position at the end of the marking period!

Recommended Due Date for Current Event 1 - Friday, February 12th
Recommended Due Date for Current Event 2 - Friday, March 4th
Recommended Due Date for Current Event 3 - Friday, March 18th
ALL CURRENT EVENTS DUE - Friday, April 8th

_________________________________________________________________________________

Please check out some of the projects created by students on presentation softwares Prezi and Powtoon:

Torn Rotator Cuff - By Nicole, Matt, Catie, and Emma


Torn Bicep - By Eric, Dominic D, Dominic L, and Brayden


Sprained Ankle - By Brendan, Mason, and Marcus


Torn Rotator Cuff - Hanna, Lola, Tauri, and Cameron














Some of our brilliant medical students did a great job reflecting on how this project went:

Owen:

There is a lot of things that I did in this project. My injury was a torn bicep. I learned that the bicep can tear partially or completely. Another thing I learned that you might still be able to use your shoulder. I also learned that you might not need surgery. Lastly I learned how the bicep snaps. Learning all of this was easy because our team didn’t fight. We all work smoothly with each other. We also didn’t but heads because we all did our job. My job in the group was the research coordinator. Over all this project was really fun. I would love to do a project like this again.

AJ:
My group and I were assigned the torn rotator cuff. My job for my group was tech expert, I made our prezi out of the info my group gave me. MY team worked very well together. We all did our part and the final piece turned out very well. I enjoyed my project  because I made the prezi that turned out pretty well and that at the end of the unit we get to dissect a chicken wing, from a real chicken. I would only change one thing and that would be the websites that we looked at. By some of the ones that I looked out had no helpful info. In all I think my project with my group was fun.

Dominic D:
My job in my group is the director of the slideshow. So, I had to say and write down who stands were when we present and who reads what to the crowd. My assigned injury for our medical school project was torn bicep. I learned that you can tear a bicep by lifting weights that are heavier than you can lift. Also, if you lift some weights to fast, then you can also tear a bicep. I think  our team worked together great. They all did their jobs, worked hard, and led us to victory.

Brionna:
My groups assigned injury was Derrick’s torn ACL. In my group I played the part of the Group Manager. I learned so much about my injury some facts that stuck with me were that you can’t do anything to prevent an ACL to tear. Plus I learned that your ACL is in the back of your knee. One more fact that I learned is that most of the ACL tears happen in basketball because you pivot so much, so you ACL gets tired of it and tears. I think overall my team worked very hard on including everyone, and we did. I think everyone enjoyed our project, I personally liked our project, it was fun to work on. Next time I would want to be a Tech Expert. Overall I liked the project. I can’t wait till we do something like that again.



Catie:
My assignment was a torn rotator cuff. In this project I was the Presentation Coordinator. I learned a lot of stuff doing this project one of them is that you can get a torn rotator cuff by falling or getting hit in the shoulder. It is also caused by overuse of the shoulder or overuse of throwing with the arm. My team work together except for the research expert he kind of fooled around most of the time and our group manager ended up doing most of the research. But by the end we all got it together and had an amazing slide show. If I could do anything different I would add more info on it because I don't think we answered everything we could of answered. I think we could have at least one more paragraph that explains a little bit more. I had fun with this project and I hope I can do something like this again.

Ashley:
My assigned injury was a torn ACL. My job in the injury project was the tech expert. The tech expert makes the prezi or the powtoon. I learned that the ACL related to the skeletal and muscular system because the ACL is a torn ligament in your knee and a ligament connects bone to bone. I also learned that the ACL is called  (anterior cruciate ligament). Last but not least, ACL injuries could happen by when a sudden change of direction or pivot occurs on a locked knee. My team was hard to work with because I was the only girl in the group, but anyways we worked good together. I enjoyed doing this project because we got to research the injury Mr. Morris gave us. Also he gave the groups evenly by giving everyone in the room a number and that was their group. One thing I would do differently next time would be to make a powtoon and work faster on the project so it’s done in time.

Cadence:
My assigned injury was how Albert broke his ulna. The ulna is in your forearm on the opposite side of your thumb.  My job was the presentation coordinator. The presentation coordinator had to make sure the powtoon/prezi was well thought out. I learned more than five things about my injury but I will state three. 1)The ulna is in your forearm on the opposite side of your thumb, 2) You have to get screws and a plaster cast during surgery, and 3) The ulna is parallel to the radius. I enjoyed this project very much! This project was fun to learn about the other bones inside you. For crying out loud, I didn’t even hear the WORD ulna before this project! My team was okay with working together but no-one really listened to each other and were doing stuff on their own. The one thing I would do differently next time is make a prezi instead of a powtoon

Braden:
My assigned injury was the torn ACl and the person we had to do was Derrick Rose, an NBA player who tore his ACL in a game.My job in the group was the presentation coordinator.It was pretty fun because you got to come up with where everyone was going to be and what slide they were going to do.The ACL stands for(anterior cruciate ligament).Our team worked pretty good because everyone took their share in the work and no one slacked and no one complained about what they were going to do or what they are doing.I did enjoy the project.I enjoyed the project because you kind of got to work with your group alone with no help and you got to ether make a powtoon or a prezi.

Cameron:
The torn rotator cuff was a very fun project. Our team was very insync and worked well together. I really wish we can all work together again. I loved the project I also loved being the research expert.I learned a lot of things about the torn rotator cuff but one main thing I learned about it was that it’s when all four of the muscles in your shoulder are torn and I also learned that lauren got the torn rotator cuff. There is nothing I would do differently if I had another chance because I thought we did just perfect.



Jack:
My injury was a dislocated shoulder.  A dislocated shoulder occurs when there is an extreme twist or pull to the arm.  I thought this project was enjoyable because I got to do all the research.  I got to do this research because I was the research expert.  The research expert did the research and then gave that information to the presentation coordinator so they could make the presentation.  I thought our team worked pretty well together in many ways.  Such as not disagreeing, not fighting, and not being selfish.  What I mean by not being selfish is no one took over the project and did it by themselves.  One thing I would do differently would be trying to find more research or interesting facts.

Hannah:
My assigned injury was a Torn Rotator Cuff. I had the job of the Tech Expert. I made the PowToon of The Torn Rotator Cuff. My team worked well together and I think we did a pretty good job. I like working with this team and I hope that I get to work with these people again. I think that next time I would have to proofread the researcher’s work/typing for word errors because last time I forgot the word “and”. I really enjoyed the project

Hanna:
During our BCSM sports injury project my group was assigned a Torn Rotator Cuff. My group members were Lola, who was the presentation coordinator, Tauri, who was the tech expert,  and Cameron, who was the research expert. I was the group manager. I think my team worked very well together. We helped each other when we needed it. I really enjoyed this project although, next time can we do something less gross??















_________________________________________________________________________________


In wrapping up our semester on the skeletal and muscular systems here at BCSM, students were invited to participate in a real-life investigation of our skeletal and muscular systems - dissecting a chicken wing.  Their goal was to locate and identify as many of the following part as possible:

Cartilage, Ligaments, Tendons, Skeletal Muscle, Long Bone, Short Bone, Hinge Joint, Ball-and-Socket Joint, Pivot Joint 


  

Tiffany and Rajanne investigating their chicken wing.  Their group was able to locate cartilage, ligaments, tendons, hinge joints, short bones, and skeletal muscle!  They described the tendons as being "tough and stretchy, connecting bones with muscles"








Brayden, Eric, and Dom L. show awesome teamwork in dissecting their wing.  They located cartilage, which they described as "shiny and smooth," ligaments, and hinge joints.












             Natalie P. and company (right) show responsibility, working carefully with their dissection tools.  They located cartilage, hinge joints, long bones, and (half of) a ball-and-socket joint.



Young scientists hard at work.
















Brendan, Marcus, and Mason discovered cartilage, ligaments, tendons, hinge joints, long bones, and skeletal muscle, which they described: "it feels smooth and squishy."












While half of the students worked as dissectors, the other group members worked as recorders.  These guys compare pictures taken on the class iPads of their sessions











Emma, Matt, Nicole, and Catie are shocked at some of the things they're finding.  This crew identified cartilage, ligaments, tendons, hinge joints, a ball-and-socket joint, and skeletal muscle!













Bryana, Kyla, and AJ investigate the chicken wing while Patrick takes pictures of the action.
















John and Paige dig in while Ryan and Laila record their findings.  This group pointed out a ligament, long bones, tendons that were "long, stretchy, and purple," and a hinge joint that "moves up and down."

Rayan shows off a hinge joint while Devon records












Ryan F and Nicole perform dissection duties 
while Grace and Jason report the findings

























Shane and Marcos work as a team to investigate the chicken wing





















Hunter really showed off his surgeon skills, pulling every piece out that he could.  John helped to keep things under control, while Emily recorded pictures of key pieces













Zach, Dylan, Frank, and Owen did a great job of working together and communicating to identify ligaments, tendons, a ball-and-socket joint, long bones, and skeletal muscle













Nick and Jasmine are focused on finding parts of this chicken's skeletal/muscular system while Aidan focuses on recording pictures of it


Julia, Landon, and Jayme practice safe dissection techniques



Evan and Marin observe while GiGi and Hannah dissect

Lola, Hanna, Tauri, and Cameron were able to locate and identify tendons, a hinge joint, a ball-and-socket joint, and long bones.  They also found a ligament which they described as "looks like a flexible bone!"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________


Spotlight on ID
In Interdisciplinary Class, students just wrapped up a project called 'Genius Hour.'  They were tasked with researching a topic and question of their choice and then creating a project (using whatever format they wanted) to present their findings to the rest of the 5th grade.  Below are some highlights!

Featured Project - Lilly's website on Greek Mythology
site password: abc123














Next up ... Treps!

Parent Letter

http://www.trepsed.com/



































No comments:

Post a Comment